If you manage a website then an affiliate program can help you create an additional revenue stream. You can also extend the reach of your affiliate programs through social media, YouTube and even printed documents. You can add affiliate links QR codes. Here’s a free QR code generator…. (You can change the size & format of the QR code)
If you are looking for more you will find that some Graphic Programs – such as Silver Poodle Graphics have QR generators within the graphic editors.
How do I join an affiliate program?
There are broadly three types of affiliate programs that you could join. They all have benefits and you do not need to choose between them.
- Affiliate platforms. The large affiliate companies that help large and small retailers to run an affiliate program. They include Awin, Tradedoubler, Impact, etc. They charge the retailer a fee and in return provide everything that is required to acquire and manage new affiliates, track their referrals and pay the affiliates once the sales has been fully approved. They have the advantage of hundreds idc not thousands of affiliates waiting for new websites, etc. The downside, especially for small retailers, is that they charge a monthly fee. There are some other downsides that I will mention later. Affiliate aggregators are normally global and great for websites that want to attract visitor/buyers from around the globe.
- Large Corporations/retailers that run large schemes. The most well known is Amazon. A global affiliate program that works across the globe. It is sophisticated and friendly to use. If you want to join Amazon Affiliate or you are already a member you may like to look at Genius Link – you can have one link to Amazon Affiliate programs around the globe.
- Dedicated or individual site affiliate systems. These can be run by small websites that may be selling products or services (e.g. courses). This vary in complexity and cost bust essentially they all do the same thing (and the same as 1&2 above). Affiliates join, get links (and coupons/vouchers), refer new clients and customers and get paid a fee for doing so. The software can be bespoke to the website, a plugin or extension that remains part of the website e.g. itthinx a WordPress plugin, or something that is hybrid (1&3) such as Goaffpro. Two examples of itthinx powered programs can be found at Scent Dog Training Affiliate Program , Train With Marka Affiliate Program and Marka Training Affiliate Program.
Joining programs is in most cases relatively simple – just registration and agreeing to terms and conditions. However, often you need to be approved. This is a strange one as you would feel that most companies would want as many affiliates as possible, but there are a number of reasons for this.
- First, brand and reputation. Companies like to know where the referrals are going from and they want to make sure that the affiliate complies (or will comply) with their rules and regulations.
- Second, some affiliate may be hard work to manage in terms of requests for more information and support.
- Third, it would appear that some companies are looking for particular types of influencers in terms of activity or likely traffic. For example some like to focus on influencers and leave out sites that have low traffic or little/no content. Most avoid sites that just list referral links with little or no content (or no content about the subject matter of the company) – so make sure that you have some great content before you apply.
Some affiliate programs (including Amazon) may cancel your approval if you do not refer any traffic or sales. So work hard at creating great content and attire acting more visitors to your website..